There have been a lot of coupon deals and sales on evaporated milk, but I haven’t seen many on Sweetened Condensed Milk. Not only that, but even the regular price of the Sweetened Milk variety is almost double that of a can of evaporated milk.
The problem with this is many of the holiday recipes I’ve considered making require the Sweetened Condensed Milk. So this recipe came in very handy. In addition to that, it allowed me to reduce the amount of sugar in the milk, since you can control it. This is something I’ve really been working at this year.
It just takes three simple ingredients and a little bit of time.
- 1 can Evaporated Milk
- ½ to 1 cup Sugar
- 1 TBSP butter
- Place the Milk and Sugar in a pan
- Turn on Medium-High heat
- Bring to boil stirring frequently
- Turn heat down a bit and keep at slow rolling boil for about 10 minutes. Continue stirring frequently.
- Take off heat and add butter. Stir butter to melt and let cool.
- If you don't need it right away, you can store it in the refrigerator.