Happy National Popcorn Day!!
Did you even know that existed? It does and it’s January 19th each year. No need to spend a bunch on popcorn to enjoy the day. Here’s a great money saving tip to really enjoy that popcorn. Plus it’s simple and healthy too. .
I’ll stock up on Store Bought Microwave Popcorn when it’s on sale and with a coupon for the convenience, but even then it’s not super frugal and there are two things I don’t like:
- I don’t like the chemicals released when you open a bag. I’ve heard that breathing in those fumes can be cancerous.
- You can’t control exactly what is in the microwave bag. I like my popcorn totally plain and with store bought Microwave Popcorn that’s not possible. With this tip, you can totally control the extra calories and salt.
So here’s how to make Frugal Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn, and it’s cooked in the same time as store bought popcorn.
- 3 TBSP Popcorn
- 1 Brown Lunch bag
- Place 3 TBSP un-popped popcorn kernels in the brown lunch bag
- Roll down the top ½ inches and repeat 2 to three times
- Place in your Microwave on thr side.
- Hit Popcorn Button and start
- Listen carefully, if it stops popping pull it out because it will burn quickly
So for three bags or batches of popcorn, I actually used about 7 1/2 TBSPs of popcorn and ended up with a little less then 1 TBSP un-popped kernels.
Considering I normally have so un-popped kernels in the store bought bags, I didn’t feel too bad.
I gave this to the kids as an after school snack today. Making it in smaller batches like this is perfect because they can customize it to what they want and I have 3 different arrival times in the afternoon.
I ate mine plain, a couple kids melted some butter and drizzled it on top and the author of Secrets for a Healthy Diet suggests combining melted butter, olive oil and a bit of salt.
Whatever you choose it is a frugal, quick and safe way to make popcorn that doesn’t require any oil or extra time.